Work Permits for TV and Film Workers in Canada  

Canada’s immigration department recognizes the economic benefits of allowing TV and film workers into the country, as they can create jobs and attract significant investment.

Canada is famous for its favorable environment towards the entertainment industry in North America and globally. The country offers low filming and production costs as well as government grants. Thus making it a popular destination for entertainment professionals. Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has also established a TV and Film Production Work Permit category for these workers, which makes it easier to enter Canada and work in the industry.

This category allows international and Canadian production companies filming in Canada to employ foreign workers, provided the roles they perform are essential to a film or TV project’s production.

Work permits under this category do not require evaluations for Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The main purpose of the LMIA assessment is to ensure that hiring a foreign worker will have no adverse effect or positive impact on the Canadian labor market. Exempting this category from LMIA evaluation simplifies the work permit process, and the processing times are usually quicker. If the job of the foreign worker falls under Training, Education, Experience, and Responsibilities (TEER)* category 0 or 1, they may be eligible for work permit processing within one to two weeks.

The Canadian government uses the TEER categories system to classify jobs based on the required education, training, experience, and responsibilities associated with the position. The numbers range from 0 to 5 for the categories, with 0 being the highest level reserved for management positions and 5 being for short-term work that does not require any formal education.

Eligibility for a TV and Film Production Work Permit

What do I require when applying for this work permit?

Foreign workers who are exempt from the LMIA requirement still have to fulfill all the conditions for temporary work in Canada. Which includes obtaining a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). This visa facilitates their entry and exit into and out of Canada. With the possibility of returning for the duration of the visa’s validity.

Applicants for the TV and Film Production Work Permit need to submit documents verifying that they meet job requirements. The documentation needs to include a support letter from the production company. This letter needs to contain the following information:

‎ ‎ ‎

Additionally, the position of the foreign worker must be unionized in Canada (for this kind of work permit). They will need to include a letter from their relevant guild or union, including other details such as:

Also, there are specific personnel in the film and TV industries that don’t need a work permit to visit and work in Canada, including film producers, essential workers for a foreign-financed shoot remaining in Canada for less than two weeks, and performing artists. Find more information on our dedicated webpage here.


Also read: Express Entry Points Calculator

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *